Our School » SES History

SES History

M.H. Specht Elementary School in the Comal Independent School District opened in August, 2002 and is named after a longtime Spring Branch resident, educator, distinguished military officer, and former county superintendent of schools, Max Henry Specht.  

Mr. Specht was born in 1910 at the family ranch in Spring Branch to Max August and Mary Fink Specht, German pioneers who immigrated to this country and settled in Comal County. Mr. Specht graduated from New Braunfels High School in 1928, attended Southern Methodist University, and graduated from Southwest Texas Teachers’ College with a degree in education. 

In 1934, he married Elsie Mergele and began his teaching career in the one-room county schoolhouses.  It was under his leadership as Comal County Superintendent of Schools from 1947 to 1962 that the Comal County Rural High School District, No. 705 was formed in 1956.  During his tenure, the original Canyon High School opened in 1959-60. 

Mr. Specht retired to Fredericksburg in the late 1960s where he and Elsie bought a ranch.  Teaching was still in his blood, so he returned to the classroom teaching German and math at Fredericksburg High School until 1975.  Henry and Elsie had three children, John Henry, Katherine, and Barbara (Bobbie).  Henry Specht passed away in 1993.